Author Brooke Siem:
“My book May Cause Side Effects is an effort to help humanize my experience with antidepressant drugs; to help patients feel less alone…and to hopefully and ultimately change the methodology in which we pull people off of these drugs.”
Don’t miss this new episode of The Women’s Eye Podcast with our guest host and bestselling author Laura Munson. You met her previously on TWE when she chatted with Stacey Gualandi about her book Willa’s Grove and her top-ranked Haven Writing Retreats in Montana. She gathers writers at all levels, helping them find their authentic voices and craft their stories in the way only they can.
Brooke was among the first generation of teens to be medicated with antidepressants. Having spent 15 years and taken 32,760 pills, she decided to withdraw and rebuild her life. Now fully healed from what she feared would be a lifelong depression, she wants to share her story and how she got off the debilitating drugs.
Laura worked with Brooke at her Haven Retreat to tell her painful story and how she managed to finally withdraw and fight the modern mental health system. Here are some of the topics they covered during their frank conversation:
- How it came full circle for Laura and Brooke at Zibby Books (photo above) when her book was recently published.
- How Brooke was on drugs for 15 years and never had a conversation about how to get off of them.
- How little understanding there is of drug withdrawal and what it takes to quit.
- How important and terrifying writing past the fear of exposure is in a memoir like Brooke’s.
- When writing your story, how to get past the fear and refusals from publishers.
For More Information about Brooke and Laura:
Some links in this post may be “affiliate links,” meaning TWE receives a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.